I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this list this year. I usually enjoy it, but 2015 was Not My Favorite. Still, the urge to document overcomes. I've deleted or altered questions from past years, because some of them just don't apply or I'm sick of them.
1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
I committed to, and completed a 37-day running streak. I ran 1 mile or more every single day from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day. And I'm still going!
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I should change this question. I do not do New Year's resolutions. I did have some goals, and I did set more for 2016. I attempted to run 1000 kilometers (621 miles) in 2015. I made it to 479, which is about 77% of the way there, and which is pretty good, since my first mile of the year wasn't until March 22, and I wasn't even close to normal-ish mileage until May. Shooting for the 1000K again in 2016!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No.
5. Where did you travel? Disney World. Vermont for my college reunion. Alliance, Nebraska (for work). Martha's Vineyard.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you didn't have in 2015? Far fewer doctors' visits and medical nonsense.
7. What dates from 2015 will be etched upon your memory and why? January 16-the day I was allowed to toss the goddamn crutches and walk upon my own two feet again. March 22 - my first run of the year, barely one mile of run-walk intervals, but a RUN. One perfect day with Helene in September.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year? Logging 479 running miles despite everything.
9 . Did you suffer illness or injury? I want to avoid this question, but I'm going to take it on. At the beginning of the year, I was still recovering from being struck by a car in December 2014. My scalp was a mess, I couldn't walk yet. Once I was back on my feet, I had to have a skin graft to make my head heal up. I tweaked some soft tissue in my foot in July, and had to take a couple of weeks off from running. I rolled my ankle on a $%#! toy car in September and had to lay off of running AGAIN. I decided to have eye surgery in September to remove a cataract that had formed in my (crappy, for shit) left eye. Because I am so appallingly nearsighted, I had to have a consult with a retinal specialist, which involved laser reinforcement of tears to my retina prior to surgery, which I hope I never have to do again. The cataract surgery was...not as easy as I thought it would be, but it's done. Calcifications were found on a routine mammogram that required me to have a biopsy. (ALL BENIGN!) Around the same time as THAT nonsense, I woke up one morning with my lower legs and feet numb and tingling. Much bloodwork and ill advised Dr. Googling later (I diagnosed myself with compartment syndrome, MS, and a brain tumor) it turned out I had low Vitamin D levels. 3000+ IU of Vitamin D3 per day later, numbness, tingling, fatigue, joint aches, all gone. So, fuck this fucking year. I hate doctors. Except my new primary care dr. who figured out the low Vitamin D. She can stay.
10. What was the best thing you bought? Plane tickets to my college reunion.
11. Whose behavior merited celebration? My in laws. They are amazing. I'm sure I don't thank them enough. I can't possibly. They have been HERE for us every time we needed them.
12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Eh. Too many people. The NRA leadership comes to the forefront. It's too exhausting to document any more. I'd rather spend my energy fighting them.
13. Where did most of your money go? I am not the CFO of this operation (that's my husband), but probably childcare & mortgage.
14. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My 20-year college reunion. Totally lived up to the hype.
15. What song will always remind you of 2015? Taylor Swift's whole 1989 album. Katy Perry's "Firework." Jesus, who am I, listening to these pop princess girls?
16. Compared to this time last year, are you (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Happier, STRONGER (I was skinny & sad last year due to lost muscle mass & days in the hospital eating nothing but narcotics. Do not recommend as a weight loss plan.), richer in all ways.
17. What do you wish you'd done more of? Running.
18. What do you wish you'd done less of? Spend time dealing with medical crap.
19. How did you spend Christmas? In a most relaxed fashion, at home. Just us, and our beloved nanny, Janine, who is also our dear friend. She didn't have any plans, so she came over for the day. We opened all the presents. I ran, then made buttermilk waffles and bacon. We opened the mimosa bar before noon, and ordered too much great Chinese food and dim sum from Tony Cheng's (homage to Seth's "Jewish Christmas"). The kids never got out of their pajamas. We watched three Christmas movies in a row - Elf, Home Alone, and A Christmas Story. I'd never seen Elf - unthinkable, I know. I felt like eggs for dinner, so I made scrambled eggs for everyone. It was so relaxed and stress free.
20. What was your favorite TV program? Game of Thrones. It's probably the only one I watched. Oh, I did see Mad Men too. I just don't watch TV.
21. What was the best thing you learned? That awkwarding is the thing that brings us all together. Seriously, if I need cheering up, I just read this Bloggess post. http://thebloggess.com/2015/11/awkwarding-is-what-brings-us-all-together/
22. What was the best book you read? Hoo boy. Always tough. "Kitchens of the Great Midwest." The Raven Boys series. "All The Light We Cannot See." "We Were Liars." All of those stand out.
23. What was your greatest food discovery? I had a lot of fun with Blue Apron meals this year. We'd gotten a gift certificate for it, and gave it a try. Now, I order them when I feel like I'm in a meal planning rut. The kids don't usually eat it, but whatever, more for me.
24. What did you want and get? To get back into running shape.
25. What did you want and not get? To be DONE with all the scalp surgery/reconstruction/remnants of the stupid accident. Surgery on Jan. 11 to get that ball rolling.
26. What was your favorite film of 2015? Here is what I saw in a movie theater - Star Wars, The Force Awakens. Which was AWESOME, and I can't wait to see it again. As for non theater movies, I'd have to say Big Hero Six. Yes, I'm ten years old.
27. What was your best musical discovery of 2015? Taylor Swift for sure. I can't even believe how much I like 1989. It is so freaking good.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Forty fucking two. The answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything. I made my own peanut butter chocolate birthday cake with some kid help, and got pretty presents and delicious food.
29. What kept you sane? Twitter, and my amazing friends there. So many times, all the time.
30. Who did you miss? I always miss my best friend, and college roommate, Becki. She really needs to live next door.
31. Who was the best new person you met? All the amazing people that I got to know on Twitter this year. Really, all of you.
32. What was a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015? I think I have a pretty good handle now on what child injuries require a visit to the ER and stitches.
33. What are some of your favorite photos from the year? These are everything, right here.